Saturday, January 13, 2007

Nathan

A friend from my university community committed suicide last week. It caught me off-guard in almost every way. Work was very difficult as I tried to sort out my feelings and thoughts on the matter and I found it impossible to concentrate or devote any time to planning lessons. I know that nobody ever really expects these things, but in this case it was much more than a surprise. It has shattered even my most skeptical views of the whys and hows. I thought that I had come to terms with death and tragedy, understanding that terrible things happen to random people in this life and that it's just how the world is. There were even a number of times growing up when I was forced to confront the reality of suicide. None of these thoughts and justifications prepared me for this. He was strong and warm and was a source of wisdom and comfort even for his casual acquaintances. He was intelligent and driven to discover and expose injustice. He made me feel welcome from the first time we met and it took me a long time to feel worthy even to be his friend. He was a model for behavior, for success, for attitude, for hospitality, for love and for friendship.

The question ‘why?’, then, goes far deeper than ‘why, when there are so many other options?’… I very rarely experience something that I cannot find an explanation for. I can’t even remember if I’ve ever felt this confused and bewildered by something that has happened. The injustice of it is more complex than my thoughts can discern and I am humbled into silence whenever I try to form an opinion. At one moment I’m stricken with grief at the thought of his hidden sadness and the next my head spins with rage at the potential and beauty that is lost. I recall different situations where he was around and how in every one of them he held everyone's respect. I think of that potential for good that could have changed the world if anything could have inverted as a shockwave that will penetrate the hearts of thousands and force so many to reexamine so much of themselves. It is a crisis as much as it is a tragedy, but what is there to do? Nothing can change what has been done, but things cannot go on until it is determined what can be learned from this. I don’t hope to understand it, but I must still somehow understand what I think and feel about it. If I cannot, then how will I know when to fear for my friends and when to trust that things are alright? How am I to accept that He will not put us through more than we can bear?

This experience has yanked me out of feeling like life is a changeless unreality by confronting me with something that is unbearable not because it is boring or monotonous, but because it is incomprehensible. An unforeseen danger has robbed so many of a friend and the world of one of the brightest hopes for our generation. This danger is a sickness that we can no longer confine to the chemically imbalanced few, but must admit is a part of us all. If there is anything that I have been able to understand from this so far, it is the importance of sharing our weaknesses and struggles with others. It is obvious now that even the strongest and the best must do this or they risk losing everything. I will miss him and grieve for the promising life that was lost so needlessly.

8 Comments:

Blogger R.O. Flyer said...

Thanks for sharing this Adam.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your way with words brings me an understanding that i wouldnt have otherwise had. always.

thanks.
praying for you and meleta.

molly

4:42 PM  
Blogger Laurie Elliot said...

Yes, Adam, thank you for sharing this. I remember how hard it was when my brother-in-law committed suicide when we were first in Japan. We hadn't been able to go to the wedding and of course we couldn't go to the funeral - that was SO HARD.

We had a bit of a warning with him (though less then everyone else!) because he was hospitalized for schizophrenia just a few weeks before.

But I've been thinking for the last three weeks about how sin and sadness start in the heart and how usually people have been thinking about it a long time before they do what they do.

You are so right about serious conversation - we need to share with others what's going on in our hearts.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked with a prof of mine today about community and our need to have people around us...

Its becomming a theme in my life that im thinking should not be ignored.
Thanks for talking the other day.
Love you.
molls

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had something profound or wise to say at a time like this... heck, I'd settle for something just comforting. But the truth is there are no words to do these situations justice.

Reading this caused me to reflect on a lot of experiences -- and a lot of people -- long gone, and it never gets any easier. You know I'm not much of one for organized religion (and I'm pretty sure this was Tennyson anyway), but to borrow a phrase, "Ours is not to question why...."
The only ones who'll ever know for sure why they left are those who are already gone. It's cruel and unfair but hopefully there's some form of afterlife where they're all doing even bigger and better things than they could have in life.

At the least they can inspire those of us who are still here to look inside ourselves and be greatful, to not be ashamed to reach out to others, and to continue to hang on even when things are at their darkest. That's a gift that can never be understated.

I <3 Adam and I <3 Leta.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all so precious. Our lives are so precious.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your reflections, Adam. All the best to you both.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ado, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings about Nathan. Know that we are continually in prayer for you and Leta.

Love and Hugs,

Bonita, Rob, Anna, Megan and Mercedes

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home